Monday, December 1, 2014

Project CARS Build 858 - Controlling Cars w/ Keyboard & Keyboard and Mouse



Someone on the Steam forums asked if this game had the ability to use the mouse for steering. I assumed so, but I didn't really know until now.

The answer is a resounding yes, the cars in the game can be controlled with the mouse! Though it's not easy, especially for me, I haven't tried to steer a car with a mouse since Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit in 1998. It took me about 10 practice laps to get around the track without spinning out. I used the Renault Clio RS Cup car because it's one of the easiest cars in the game, I highly doubt I could have achieved three clean laps with a Lotus 49.

Still though, if you're one of the few who still to play racing games with your mouse, then it is possible with this game. The only assists enabled are the ones that would be on the real-life counterpart of this car, plus auto-clutch, with manual shifting.



After making the keyboard/mouse video, I decided to make a video using just the keyboard for control. First, I must say, this is an utterly miserable way to play the game. You can get an XBox 360 controller w/ wireless PC receiver for $30-$60 brand new. While I recommend a good wheel (starting with the Logitech DFP) the X360 controller is the next best thing for the petrolhead on a budget. Personally, I am absolutely against using only the keyboard in this game... but there are some who insist on it, and, as someone who hasn't used the keyboard for steering in 10 years (Nascar Racing, 1994) I have proven that it is possible in Project CARS. The only assists I use are what would come on the real-life counterpart of this car, and auto-clutch with manual shifting.

Granted, it took me a few laps to get it right... and I highly doubt I could have done it with any of the RWD cars in the game, but as you can see, it clearly is possible. For those of you who are die-hard keyboard steering enthusiasts, I'm sure you would be better at it.

For the rest of you... at least use the mouse for steering, but for goodness sake, if you can't afford a real force feedback wheel, such as the DFP, or G27, the wired X360 controller costs less than half of what my mouse did.

No comments:

Post a Comment